Last Updated : October 29,2020
All English versions provided for reference purposes only.
In any event, the Japanese version shall prevail.
Article 1 Objective
Article 2 Awarding Points
- Rakuten shall award Points to a Member whenever the Member makes a purchase or uses a service on a Point Award Service in the manner specified by Rakuten, or upon the occurrence of any other event Rakuten deems it appropriate (hereinafter any such event a “Target Transaction”).
- Rakuten will determine the available Point Award Services, Target Transactions, base percentage rate of Points to be awarded, as well as other conditions for awarding Points, and make such information available to Members by posting it on a designated website specified in advance by Rakuten (hereinafter the "Notification Site"). The foregoing notwithstanding, the final percentage rate and effective period of Points awarded may change depending on the particular Target Transaction.
- Points will be awarded after a certain period of time has passed as specified by Rakuten once a Target Transaction takes place. In the event that Rakuten confirms that a Target Transaction has been cancelled or any of the products purchased under the Target Transaction have been returned, Points will not be awarded. In the event that the value of the purchase under a Target Transaction has changed after it has taken place, Points will be given based on the revised value.
- Rakuten will make the final decision on whether or not to award Points for transactions, the number of Points to be awarded, and other matters related to awarding of Points. The Member will abide by its decision.
Article 3 Management of Points
- Rakuten will notify Members of the number of Points they have earned and used, as well as their Points balance via the method specified by Rakuten.
- Should any Member have any questions concerning the number of Points described in the preceding paragraph, said Member shall immediately contact Rakuten regarding the matter.
- Rakuten will make the final decision concerning the number of Points described in Paragraph 1 above, and the Member shall abide by its decision.
Article 4 Combining Points Not Allowed
Cases specifically recognized by Rakuten notwithstanding, Members may not transfer the Points they hold in one account to another account, transfer or pledge the Points to other Members, or share the Points between themselves.
Article 5 Cancellation and Expiration of Points
- Rakuten reserves the right to cancel Points that have been awarded to the Member when the products purchased under a Target Transaction is returned, when the order placed under a Target Transaction is cancelled, or in other cases where Rakuten deems it appropriate.
- Rakuten reserves the right to cancel Points accumulated by the Member, either in whole or in part, in any of the following circumstances without prior notice:
- The Member violates applicable laws or engages in a fraudulent activity;
- Any other circumstances where Rakuten deems it appropriate to cancel Points that have been awarded to the Member.
- Points held by the Member will automatically expire if the Member does not complete any Target Transactions within a period of time specified by Rakuten. Rakuten may also separately set an effective period for the Points.
- Rakuten will neither compensate nor assume any responsibility whatsoever for any loss caused to the Member from cancelled or expired Points, except where there is any cause attributable to Rakuten.
Article 6 Redeeming Points for Payments
- The Member can redeem some or all of the Member’s Points to pay for purchases (including the price of the purchased goods, shipping and handling fees, and tax) at the Point Use Services and at a conversion rate specified by Rakuten.
- Rakuten may impose limitations on the services and products described in Paragraph 1 that are applicable for using Points, or set other conditions for using Points.
- When a Member cancels a purchase payment as described in Paragraph 1, Rakuten will, as a general rule, not refund the said payment in cash but return the Points redeemed for making the said payment. However, if Rakuten is unable to refund a payment by way of Points due to reasons associated with the processing of Points, a cash refund in the amount equivalent to the amount of Points used may be given by the Point Use Service where the payment was made.
- In certain circumstances where the amount charged to the Member is reduced or raised after the Member has paid the said amount entirely with Points, the reduced or raised amount shall be paid or returned according to the conditions set forth in each Point Use Service page or payment page.
Article 7 Redeeming Points for Purposes Other than Payments
- In addition to redeeming Points for payments at applicable Point Use Services as described in the preceding Article, the Member can exchange Points for prizes, services, or other rewards (hereinafter "Rewards").
- Rakuten may set Rewards for which the Member can redeem Points at any time. Rakuten will announce the Rewards via the Notification Site or another method specified by Rakuten.
- Rakuten shall determine the types of Rewards available, their content, the number of Points needed to redeem for each Reward, and other conditions for redeeming the Points. Rakuten reserves the right to update, change or terminate any of the foregoing terms at any time. In certain circumstances where Rakuten is unable to provide a specific Reward requested by the Member due to a supply shortage, the dissolution of its partnership with a partnering entity, or any other reason, Rakuten will ask the Member to choose another available Reward or return the Points to the Member.
- Rakuten will neither compensate nor assume any responsibility whatsoever for any loss caused to the Member due to the circumstances described in the preceding paragraph.
- When redeeming Points, the Member agrees to provide Rakuten with any and all necessary information, including the address to send the Rewards and the Member’s contact information. When sending Rewards such as presents to the Member, Rakuten will only ship the Rewards to Members whose residential address is in Japan. Unless separately stipulated by Rakuten, Rakuten will not ship the Rewards to an overseas address, to any person other than the Member, or to a P.O. Box.
- Some of the Rewards may be provided by third party companies affiliated with Rakuten. In such cases, the conditions for using the Rewards shall follow the terms and regulations of these third party companies. Rakuten makes no warranties regarding the quality or availability of the Rewards. Should any defects be found in the said Rewards, the Member shall resolve the issue with the third party company that provided and shipped the said Rewards.
- The Member may not return or exchange Rewards unless the reason for such return or exchange is due to the fault of Rakuten or the party providing the Rewards.
Article 8 Accidents
Rakuten will assume no responsibility whatsoever for any accidents that occur to purchased products described in Article 6 or Rewards defined in the preceding Article, including but not limited to delay of arrival, loss, theft, damage or breakage, either during transport or after provision. Rakuten will not return Points that have been redeemed for said purchased products or Rewards unless said accident is due to the fault of Rakuten.
Article 9 Cancellation of Redeemed Points
- In the event that a Member redeems Points for Rewards pursuant to Article 7, and the Points are subsequently cancelled in accordance with the preceding paragraph, the Member’s request for Rewards will be voided. If the Member has already received the said Rewards, the Member must immediately return the Rewards or pay an amount equivalent to the value of the Rewards.
Article 10 No Cash Redemptions
Points may not be exchanged for cash under any circumstances.
Article 11 Third Party Usage
- Points shall be used by the Member and the Member may not let anyone use the Points.
- Upon confirming that the user ID and password entered by the Member when using the Points matches those that have been registered by the Member, Rakuten shall regard such access to have been made by the said Member. Rakuten will not return Points redeemed, and neither will Rakuten be held liable for any damage caused to the Member as a result of any unauthorized use of the Member's user ID and password, except where there is any cause attributable to Rakuten.
Article 12 Taxes and Expenses
The Member will be responsible for any taxes or expenses associated with the earning and usage of Points, or the redeeming of Points for Rewards.
Article 13 Revocation or Termination of Membership
Upon losing one’s membership status, the Member will lose all Points held, the right to redeem Points for Rewards, and all other rights associated with the Program. The said Member will gain no rights to make claims against Rakuten upon loss of the Member’s membership status.
Article 14 Disclaimer
Rakuten will do its best to ensure that operation of the Program employs the latest technological standards. However, Rakuten makes no warranty that the Program will be uninterrupted. Rakuten makes no warranty that no system interruption, delay, suspension, or data loss due to connection or computer failure, troubles for using the Points, unauthorized access to data, or any other failure or disruption occurs.
Article 15 Modification, Suspension, and Termination of the Program
The duration of the effective period specified in Article 5.3 shall be one (1) calendar year from the date the Member last receives Points from a Target Transaction. (The effective period for time limited Points shall be set separately.)
Since the effective period is calculated from the date the Member last receives Points, if the Member fails to earn any new Points within the period stipulated in the foregoing, all of the Member’s remaining Points will be automatically forfeited.