The Rakuten Group aims to provide you with a unique service experience through the “Rakuten ID,”. Rakuten ID is a unified program allowing you to easily connect to other Rakuten services by a single log-in function, share your account information and join a loyalty program with the Rakuten group companies participating in the Rakuten ID program (collectively, the “Rakuten ID Services”, “we” or “us”, and independently, the “Rakuten ID Service”). Your data will only be shared if you chose to connect to another Rakuten ID Service.
Information we collect directly from you
The categories of information that we collect directly from you are:
- Your personal details (e.g. name, date of birth);
- Your contact details (e.g. phone number, email address, postal address or mobile number), if you provided it;
- Your account login details, such as your username and the password that you have chosen;
- Identifiers for devices you have used to access our websites, including the IP address and MAC identifiers;
- Financial information, such as
- bank details or credit card numbers;
- Rakuten points, if your Rakuten ID service participates in the Rakuten points program.
Some information we collect automatically from you, e.g. data collected using cookies and other device identifying technologies ('Cookies and Tracking Technologies'):
- Geolocation data, such as your IP address
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as information about your login sessions.
Information we collect from other sources
We collect the above-mentioned information about you from other Rakuten ID services, if you choose to use your Rakuten ID with another Rakuten ID Service.
Personal data we collect and how we use it
Authentication and account administration: Rakuten ID Services use your identifiers to authenticate your identity when you log in to our website(s), and to administer your account, including sending you service messages. Depending on the Rakuten ID Service you connect through, your username may be your email or phone number.
Rakuten ID account: We store and share your account information and financial information within the Rakuten ID profile to other Rakuten ID services, if you choose to connect your ID and provided this information, so that you can access your account information conveniently across the Rakuten ID services.
Service Improvement and analytics of Rakuten ID: We use data such as registration, login and device data to improve the technical functionality and availability of the Rakuten ID and statistical analysis of the usage and functionality.
Marketing: Rakuten ID services may contact you with marketing and offers relating to products offered by the Rakuten ID services, in line with the applicable laws.
Loyalty program: Rakuten ID services may offer you to participate in a loyalty program, granting you points for certain transactions. If the Rakuten ID service you registered with participates in the Rakuten points program, we process your data to provide and redeem points, as well as to analyse point usage across services on an aggregated level.
Compliance & Safety: We use your data to comply with legal obligations to which we are subject such as fulfilling your user’s rights and cooperate with regulators and law enforcement bodies and for security purposes such as fraud prevention.
How we share your personal information
Among the Rakuten ID Services: As mentioned above, if you connect to more than one Rakuten ID Service, your personal data will be shared with the other Rakuten ID Services which you have connected to.
Rakuten, Inc. our parent company: Rakuten ID Services share your personal data with Rakuten, Inc. (Japan) for the purpose of providing the technical functionality of the Rakuten ID, as well as service improvement, compliance & safety purposes.
Service providers and business partners. We share your personal data with our service providers and business partners that perform business operations for us on our behalf (as data processors).
The following categories of your personal information may be shared with these parties as detailed above:
- Financial information;
- Geolocation data;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information;
Your rights over your personal information
Subject to local law, you may have certain rights regarding information that the Rakuten ID Services have collected about you.
In some countries, such as the European Union and California, these may include the following rights to:
- access your personal information;
- rectify the information we hold about you;
- erase your personal information;
- restrict our use of your personal information;
- object to our use of your personal information;
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to an external party (right to data portability);
- learn more about the sources from which we collect information, the purposes for which we collect and share information, the information we hold, and the categories of parties with whom we share your information;
- for California residents, opt out of certain disclosures of personal information that California law defines as “sales” even if no money is exchanged. Please note that we do not and will not sell your personal data, neither of the users, nor of minors;
- exercise rights without fear of being denied goods or services;
- lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
Note that deletion of your Rakuten ID will delete all your Rakuten accounts within the Rakuten ID Services. When you reach out to us, please indicate if you wish to delete all accounts or only disconnect your Rakuten ID with any specific Rakuten ID Service.
To exercise your rights please contact any of the services that you connected your Rakuten ID to.
International data transfers
If you are visiting from the European Union, please note that your personal data may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country that is not regarded as ensuring an adequate level of protection for personal information.
The Rakuten Group relies on the Rakuten Group Binding Corporate Rules to legitimize and safeguard international data transfers within the Group. The Rakuten Group Binding Corporate Rules can be found at https://corp.rakuten.co.jp/privacy/en/bcr.html.
Legal basis for processing your personal data
If you are visiting from the EU, the Rakuten ID Services must have a legal basis to process your personal data. The legal basis will be one of the following:
- Performance of Contract: We rely on the contractual obligations for authenticating and administering your account.
- Legitimate Interest: We rely on legitimate interest for sharing your Rakuten ID account profile, service improvement and analytics, loyalty program and for compliance & safety purposes as listed above. When we process personal data to meet our legitimate interests, we put in place robust safeguards to ensure that your privacy is protected and to ensure that our legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
- Legal obligation and public interest: In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to process your personal data such as fulfilling your user’s rights or may otherwise need your Personal Information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
- Consent: With your consent, we may use your personal data to store your financial information and send you personalised marketing messages. You can withdraw your consent at any time.
Information Security and Storage
We implement technical and organisational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk to the personal information we process. These measures are aimed at ensuring the on-going integrity and confidentiality of personal information. We evaluate these measures on a regular basis to ensure the security of the processing.
We will keep your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you, and for a period of three years thereafter. We will only retain your personal information after this time if we are required to do so to comply with the applicable local law of the Rakuten ID service you signed up to.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the way in which your personal information has been used, please contact the service to which you registered or email@example.com
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to your data protection authority or to the data protection authority of Luxembourg using their website https://cnpd.public.lu/en.html
Changes to the Notice
We may modify or update this privacy notice from time to time.
If we change this privacy notice, we will notify you of the changes. Where changes to this privacy notice will have a fundamental impact on the nature of the processing or otherwise have a substantial impact on you, we will give you sufficient advance notice so that you have the opportunity to exercise your rights (e.g. to object to the processing). [Dec 26, 2019]
List of Rakuten companies participating in the Rakuten ID programme
||Rakuten France S.A.S.
||Rakuten Deutschland GmbH
||Rakuten Europe S.a.r.l.
||Viber Media S.a.r.l.
||Rakuten TV Europe, S.L.U.
||Rakuten Kobo Inc.
||Taiwan Rakuten Ichiba, Inc.
||Ebates Inc. dba Rakuten